Becoming 1stClass@Number is a small group intervention for children in Year 1 who need further support to secure the Early Learning Goal for Number.
A fabulous programme, enabling children to explore numbers in an exciting and fun way.
Shuma, Teaching Assistant, Canon Barnett Primary School, Tower Hamlets
- offers children a rich and varied learning experience
- lessons are engaging, active and fun and include a wide range
- of games and practical activities
- aims to promote a solid basis and effective learning opportunity for all children to succeed in mathematics.
How does it work?
The mathematics teaching and learning in Becoming 1stClass@Number has been carefully structured to develop and deepen children’s number sense in relation to numbers up to 20.
This is activated through these four topic areas:
- Numbers 1-6
- Numbers 5-10
- Exploring 10
- Numbers 10-20
See an example lesson plan from Becoming 1stClass@Number click here.
A programme that uses the fundamental concepts of number to help build solid foundations for our Year 1 children.
Helen Morris, Teacher, Canon Barnett Primary School, Tower Hamlets
Training and Professional Development
- Delivered locally by an accredited ECC Trainer
- 6 half days for teaching assistants – mathematical subject knowledge and pedagogy- adapting session plans to meet children’s needs
- 2 half days for a school Link Teacher, with the TA, – supporting, managing & evaluating Becoming 1stClass@Number
- An optional school visit by the Trainer
Resources and Support
- Interactive and easily adaptable session plans
- Extensive ready-made resources that are organised for you topic by topic
- Online guidance and downloadable resources
- Access to the ECC data system, providing detailed analyses of impact and children’s progress.
- Phone and e-mail support from ECC and the Trainer
Each local provider determines their own charges to schools depending on local circumstances. The charge for 2022/23 for a new Becoming 1stClass@Number teaching assistant, with their Link Teacher, will be in the region of £990.
How do I Access the Training?
Schools can access Becoming 1stClass@Number from local ECC providers. Click here to find your nearest provider.