Wednesday 17th May 2023
Edge Hill University (Ormskirk Campus, West Lancashire)
This day event at the beautiful Edge Hill University campus will bring together community groups and projects from Lancashire. Working on climate action related efforts. The event will be based around a series of discussive activity sessions that seeks to:
- Understand the goals, problems and challenges of Lancashire’s community groups and projects working on climate action.
- Share good practice among event participants and explore new ideas on developing collaboration and mutual support.
- Provide expertise from also participating specialists working on different aspects of climate action and community engagement.
- Feedback ‘community voice’ outputs from the event to Lancashire’s political leaders and local councils, for their consideration as they implement the Lancashire 2050 Plan.
- Consider follow-up activities after the event, such creating a network of participating community groups and projects.
Are you a community group or project working on climate action related activities in Lancashire?
If so, please get in touch with the event lead organiser, Prof Christopher Dent. We are currently in the process of identifying relevant groups and projects to invite to the event.
More details about this SustainNET organised event will follow shortly.
Background & Origin
Edge Hill University like its fellow universities in Lancashire (UCLan and Lancaster), wants to play its part in helping the county advance its climate action efforts and meet its net zero emission goals. Universities in particular are uniquely resourced to bring people and communities together to work collaboratively on common challenges. We will find solutions to shared problems and explore ways of mutually supporting each other’s work. This is what this event aims to do. It will also be an important opportunity for you to connect with similar community groups and projects like yourselves.
The idea for this event arose from the series of conversations between Edge Hill University and various stakeholder groups across Lancashire during 2022. In January 2023, consensus was established on the event’s main focus and purpose, this being to hold a community-oriented forum event. This would be the first of its kind, and therefore somewhat exploratory, but part of a longer-term plan process. Future annual forum events will be organised.