SustainNET was established in February 2020 as a network community of individuals at Edge Hill University who are passionate about sustainability. Formed with the support of the Institute for Social Responsibility (ISR), it seeks to advance the sustainability agenda both on campus and in our region on four interconnected fronts, namely research, education, student engagement and local community partnership. Its main aims are to:
- Promote and advance the University’s work on sustainability studies and sustainability agenda generally, within the framework of the United Nations 17 Sustainability Development Goals (SDGs – https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org)
- Develop and nurture inter-disciplinary collaboration on sustainability research and other forms of academic-related work at EHU
- Integrate sustainability into curriculum programmes, including continuous professional learning and in-service learning
- Establish Edge Hill University as a leading centre for sustainability studies both nationally and internationally in the longer-term
- Build ever stronger partnerships with local and other external stakeholders to achieve the above aims, and help improve the sustainability of the local region
SustainNET originally developed from the organisation of the ‘Sustainability in the Region’ event held in Ormskirk on 6th November 2019 that brought together around 20 local sustainability-related organisations, Edge Hill University staff and the general public to engage in various knowledge exchange activities. More information about local partner stakeholders can be found at the Partners webpage.
At the University, SustainNET is a cross-campus venture with representation from Biology, Business, Computer Science, Creative Arts, Education, Geography and Geology, Medicine/Health/Social Care, Psychology, Social Sciences, Sport and Physical Activity, Centre for Learning and Teaching, Careers, Corporate Communications, Facilities Management, Human Resources, International Office, IT Services, Learning Services, Student Services, and the Students Union. The full list can be found on our Members webpage.