Ofsted research review series
‘The curriculum – what pupils learn – is the very core of education’(Ofsted, 2021)
Since 2021, Ofsted has been compiling evidence to inform a series of published reviews with the aim of supporting and informing those leading the thinking on subject education in schools. By setting out the most helpful ways of securing progression in each subject, the research reviews provided by Ofsted can provide a set of guiding principles for subject leaders including those involved in the training and development of novice teachers. In addition to the Core Content Framework, these reviews underpin our curriculum design for each course and a link to the relevant review can be found below. We are also in the process of creating short videos, delivered by our subject specific tutors, to assist mentors and trainees in implementing the key findings from each review. We hope these resources will help mentors to deliver our curriculum.
English and Literacy key reading
- Barratt-Pugh, C. (2001) Literacy learning in the early years. Sydney: Allen & Unwin. Available at: https://public.ebookcentral.proquest.com/choice/publicfullrecord.aspx?p=286603
- Godwin, D. and Perkins, M. (2013) Teaching language and literacy in the early years second edition. Hoboken: Taylor and Francis. Available at: https://public.ebookcentral.proquest.com/choice/publicfullrecord.aspx?p=1111778
- Godwin, D. and Perkins, M. (2002) Teaching language and literacy in the early years. 2nd edn. London: David Fulton.
- Goouch, K. and Lambirth, A. (2017) Teaching early reading & phonics : creative approaches to early literacy. 2nd edn. Los Angeles: SAGE Publications.
- Wyse, D. et al. (eds) (2018) Teaching english, language and literacy. Fourth edn. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
Mathematics key reading
- DEPARTMENT of EDUCATION. 2013. The national curriculum in England: key stages 1 and 2 framework document. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-primary-curriculum
- DEPARTMENT of EDUCATION. 2020. Mathematics guidance: key stages 1 and 2 Non-statutory guidance for the national curriculum in England. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1017683/Maths_guidance_KS_1_and_2.pdf
- HAYLOCK, D. and MANNING, R., 2019. Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers. 6th ed. London. Sage.
- NCETM. Mastery Materials. Available at: https://www.ncetm.org.uk/teaching-for-mastery/mastery-materials/
- NCETM. Progression maps for Key Stages 1 and 2. Available at: https://www.ncetm.org.uk/classroom-resources/progression-maps-for-key-stages-1-and-2/
- NCETM. Various videos. Available from: https://www.ncetm.org.uk/
- NRICH. Available from https://nrich.maths.org/
- OFSTED. 2021. Research Review Series: Mathematics. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/research-review-series-mathematics
Science key reading
- Allen, M. (2019) Misconceptions in Primary Science. 3rd Edition. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- ASE: Association for Science Education – Wide range of resources, links and support. Available https://www.ase.org.uk/primary-resources
- Godec, S., King, H., & Archer, L. (2017). The Science Capital Teaching Approach: engaging students with science, promoting social justice. University College London. Available here: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10080166/1/the-science-capital-teaching-approach-pack-for-teachers.pdf
- Harlen, W. and Qualter, A., 2017. The Teaching of Science in Primary Schools. Taylor and Francis, Milton Park, Oxfordshire.
- Peacock, G., Sharp, J., Johnsey, R. and Wright, D., 2017. Primary science: knowledge and understanding (8th ed.). Learning Matters: Exeter.
- Plan Science resources – Resources to support planning and assessment of primary science. Available: https://www.planassessment.com/
- Practical Action – opportunities to go beyond the national curriculum. STEM learning challenges. Available https://practicalaction.org/schools/
- STEM Learning Centre – A wide range of recourses, links and CPD opportunities. Available: https://www.stem.org.uk/primary
- Sharp, J. et al., 2017. Primary science: teaching theory and practice (8th ed). Learning Matters: Exeter.
- Wellcome Trust – A wide range of recourses, links and publications. Available: https://wellcome.org/
Computing key reading
- The National Centre for Computing Education https://teachcomputing.org/pedagogy
- Hello World magazine (free subscription) https://helloworld.raspberrypi.org/issues/0
- Information on PRIMM pedagogical approach https://suesentance.net/primm-project/
History key reading
- Russell, C. (2016) Essential Primary History. Open University Press. London.
- Doull, K,. Russell,c., and Hales, A. (2019) Mastering Primary History. Bloomsbury. London.
- Horrie, C., Hillman, R. (2020) The National Archives History Toolkit for Primary Schools. Bloomsbury. London.
- The Historical Association. https://www.history.org.uk/
- ADAMS, S., 2014. Romans. New ed. London: Ladybird Books.
- Anon., n.d. Historical Association. Available from: https://www-history-org-uk.edgehill.idm.oclc.org/.
- Anon., n.d. History. Available from: https://www.shropshirelg.net/curriculum-subjects/history/.
- Anon., n.d. National Curriculum. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/national-curriculum.
- Anon., n.d. National Strategies. Available from: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110113104120/http:/nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/.
- Anon., n.d. Department for Education. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-education.
- Anon., n.d. Ofsted. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ofsted.
- Anon., n.d. UK Parliament. Available from: https://www.parliament.uk/.
- Anon., n.d. Times Educational Supplement. Available from: https://www.tes.co.uk.
- Anon., n.d. National Foundation for Educational Research. Available from: https://www.nfer.ac.uk/.
- Anon., n.d. Teaching History. Available from: http://edgehill.idm.oclc.org/login?url=https://browzine.com/libraries/2091/journals/87081/issues/511016461.
- Anon., n.d. BBC History. Available from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/history.
- Anon., n.d. Schools History Project. Available from: https://www.schoolshistoryproject.co.uk/.
- BAGE, G., 2000. Thinking History 4-14: Teaching, Learning, Curricula and Communities. 1st ed. Washington, D.C.: Falmer. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=1602106.
- BARFIELD, M. and BRADLEY, J., 2021. A Day in the Life of a Caveman, a Queen and Everything In Between: History as You’ve Never Seen It Before. 1st ed. London: Buster Books.
- CLAUS, P.M., 2017. History: An Introduction to Theory, Method, and Practice [online]. 2nd ed. New York, USA: Routledge. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=4838178.
- CLAUS, P. and MARRIOTT, J., 2023. History: an introduction to theory and method. Third edition. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- COOPER, H., 2017. Teaching History Creatively [online]. 2nd ed. London: Routledge. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=4741361.
- COOPER, H., 2018. History 5–11: A Guide for Teachers [online]. 3rd ed. London: Routledge. Available from: http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=5163104.
- DOULL, K., RUSSELL, C., and HALES, A., 2019. Mastering Primary History [online]. 1st ed. London: Bloomsbury Academic. Available from: https://bibliu.com/users/saml/samlEdgeHill?RelayState=eyJjdXN0b21fbGF1bmNoX3VybCI6IiMvdmlldy9ib29rcy85NzgxNDc0Mjk1NTc0L3BkZjJodG1sZXgvaW5kZXguaHRtbCJ9.
- FORSTER, C. and EPERJESI, R., 2020. Teaching the Primary Curriculum. 1st ed. London: SAGE.
- HEIN, G.E., 1998. Learning in the Museum [online]. 1st ed. London: Routledge. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=164934.
- HOODLESS, P., 2008. Teaching History in Primary Schools [online]. 1st ed. Exeter, England: Learning Matters. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=820147.
- HORRIE, C. and HILLMAN, R., 2020. The National Archives History Toolkit for Primary Schools [online]. 1st ed. London: Bloomsbury Education. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=6122298.
- HOWORTH, M., 2015. Teaching Primary History [online]. 1st ed. London: Bloomsbury. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=4000402.
- HUFFINGTON, A. and HUBBARD, J., 2018. The Importance of Well-Being. Thriving @ Work: Leveraging the Connection between Well-Being and Productivity [online]. Available from: https://www.lynda.com/Business-Skills-tutorials/importance-well-being/636109/688735-4.html.
- JAMES, S., 2022. Ancient Rome. New edition. New York: Dorling Kindersley Limited.
- KITAMURA, S., 2007. Stone Age Boy. 1st ed. London: Walker Books.
- LAWRENCE, S., 2019. Instant History: Key Facts, Figures, Discoveries and Developments Explained on a Single Page. 1st ed. London: Carlton Books.
- MARGESON, S.M. and ANDERSON, P., 2011. Viking. Rev. ed. London: Dorling Kindersley.
- MUIJS, D. and REYNOLDS, D., 2018. Effective Teaching: Evidence and Practice [online]. 4th ed. London: SAGE. Available from: https://bibliu.com/users/saml/samlEdgeHill?RelayState=eyJjdXN0b21fbGF1bmNoX3VybCI6IiMvdmlldy9ib29rcy85NzgxNTI2NDE4NDI1L2VwdWIvT0VCUFMvdG9jLmh0bWwifQ%3D%3D.
- OFSTED, 2021. Research Review Series: History. [online]. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/research-review-series-history/research-review-series-history.
- OFSTED, 2023. Rich Encounters With the Past: History Subject Report. [online]. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/subject-report-series-history/rich-encounterswith-the-past-history-subject-report.
- OGIER, S., 2022. A Broad & Balanced Curriculum in Primary Schools: Educating the Whole child [online]. 2nd ed. London: Learning Matters. Available from: https://bibliu.com/users/saml/samlEdgeHill?RelayState=eyJjdXN0b21fbGF1bmNoX3VybCI6IiMvdmlldy9ib29rcy85NzgxNTI5Nzg2MTQ5L2VwdWIvT0VCUFMvdG9jLmh0bWwifQ%3D%3D.
- O’HARA, L. and O’HARA, M., 2001. Teaching History 3-11: The Essential Guide. 1st ed. London: Continuum.
- PERCIVAL, J., 2020. Understanding & Teaching Primary History [online]. 1st ed. London: SAGE. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=7120991.
- PICKFORD, T., GARNER, W., and JACKSON, E., 2013. Primary Humanities: Learning Through Enquiry [online]. 1st ed. London: SAGE. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=4714151.
- ROCHDALE BOROUGH COUNCIL, 2015. What are the 5 Ways to Wellbeing? [online]. Available from: https://youtu.be/yF7Ou43Vj6c.
- RUSSELL, C., 2016. Essential Primary History [online]. 1st ed. Maidenhead: Open University Press. Available from: https://bibliu.com/users/saml/samlEdgeHill?RelayState=eyJjdXN0b21fbGF1bmNoX3VybCI6IiMvdmlldy9ib29rcy85NzgwMzM1MjYxOTE4L2VwdWIvT0VCUFMvVGV4dC8wNV9jb250ZW50cy5odG1sIn0%3D.
- SEBBA, J., 1996. History for All [online]. 1st ed. London: David Fulton. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=1569710.
- SMITH, C., GUILLAIN, A., and NOONAN, N., 2016. History Through Stories: Teaching Primary History with Storytelling. 1st ed. Stroud: Hawthorn Press.
- TURNER-BISSET, R., 2005. Creative Teaching: History in the Primary Classroom [online]. 1st edition. London: David Fulton. Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/edgehill/detail.action?docID=1099477.
- WEBSTER, M. and MISRA, S., 2015. Teaching the Primary Foundation Subjects [online]. 1st ed. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill/Open University Press. Available from: http://edgehill.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=1099336&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
- WILLIAMS, B. and WILLIAMS, B., 2013. Ancient Egyptians. New ed. London: Ladybird.
- WOOD, T., 2011. British History. New ed. London: Ladybird.
Geography key reading
- CATLING, S.J. & WILLEY, T., 2018. Understanding and Teaching Primary Geography. 2nd ed. London: Sage Publications
- TANNER, J., 2021. Progression in Geographical Fieldwork Experiences. Primary Geography. 104, pp. 13-17.
- OFSTED, 2021. Research Review Series: Geography [online]. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/research-review-series-geography/research-review-series-geography
- TEDGlobal, 2009. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Danger of a Single Story. Available from: https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_ngozi_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story?language=en#t-53186
- DIGIMAP FOR SCHOOLS, 2016. Progression in Mapping [online]. Available from: https://digimapforschools.edina.ac.uk/files/resource-hub/downloads/39progressioninmappingprimary.pdf
- ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY, 2021. Ofsted HMI Iain Freeland on what contributes to high-quality curricula, assessment and pedagogy [podcast]. Available from: https://www.rgs.org/schools/teaching-resources/ofsted-hmi-iain-freeland-on-what-contributes-to-hi/
- OFSTED, 2023. Geography subject insights for primary and secondary teachers and leaders. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3T8p-YYRvw
- OFSTED, 2021. Geography in outstanding primary schools. Available from: https://educationinspection.blog.gov.uk/2021/05/11/geography-in-outstanding-primary-schools/
- THE GEOGRAPHICAL ASSOCIATION, 2022. A Framework for the School Geography Curriculum. Available from: https://geography.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/GA-Curriculum-Framework-2022-WEB-final.pdf
- TAYLOR, L., 2015. Research on young people’s understandings of distant places. Geography. 100 (2), pp.110-113.
- OWENS, P., 2022. Teaching map skills to inspire a sense of place and adventure in the early years. Southampton: Ordnance Survey. Available from: https://digimapforschools.edina.ac.uk/files/resource-hub/downloads/130Maps_and_mapping_in_the_early_years.pdf
- OWENS, P., 2021. Teaching map skills to inspire a sense of place and adventure. Southampton: Ordnance Survey. Available from: https://digimapforschools.edina.ac.uk/files/resource-hub/downloads/pupils%20planning%20document-low%20ink%20version_2.pdf
Links to recent Ofsted videos, research review series as well as helpful resources for subject leaders
- Edge Hill University Primary Geography Network (padlet.org)
- The Royal Geographical Society: https://www.rgs.org/
- The Geographical Association: https://www.geography.org.uk/
- Geographical Association – For Geography Teachers
Join a community of geography teachers. From practical teaching resources to high-quality, termly journals, discover all the reasons why you should consider becoming a member of the Geographical Association. www.geography.org.uk
- The Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)
Browse our full programme Browse our in-person and online events, including our Monday night lectures, regional events and teacher CPD sessions. If you have missed out on an event, you can catch up on a selection of these on our talks on demand page. www.rgs.org
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The danger of a single story | TED Talk
Our lives, our cultures, are composed of many overlapping stories. Novelist Chimamanda Adichie tells the story of how she found her authentic cultural voice — and warns that if we hear only a single story about another person or country, we risk a critical misunderstanding. www.ted.com
- Research review series: geography – GOV.UK
Departments. Departments, agencies and public bodies. News. News stories, speeches, letters and notices. Guidance and regulation. Detailed guidance, regulations and rules. www.gov.uk
RE key reading
Please see our RE Padlet for relevant resources.
- RE Padlet
- Ofsted RE Research Review
- RE Council https://www.religiouseducationcouncil.org.uk/
- REOnline https://www.reonline.org.uk/
- REToday https://www.retoday.org.uk/
- NATRE https://www.natre.org.uk/
- Ofsted Review https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/research-review-series-religious-education/research-review-series-religious-education#appendix-c
- Elton Chalcraft.S., 2014. (ed) Teaching Religious Education Creatively. London: Routledge
- Webster. M., 2010. Creative Approaches to Teaching Primary Religious Education. Harlow. Pearson
- Webster, M., and Misra., 2015 Teaching the Foundation Subjects. London: Open Uni Press
- James. M., Stern. J., 2019. Mastering Primary Religious Education. London. Bloomsbury
Art and Design padlet
Please see our Art Padlet for relevant resources.
Design and Technology padlet
- Flinn, E. and Patel, S. (2016) The Really Useful Primary Design and Technology Book Routledge. Abingdon, Oxen
- Hope, G. (2018) Mastering Primary Design and Technology. Bloomsbury. London
- Benson, C. (2017) Teaching Design and Technology Creatively. Routledge. Abingdon, Oxen.
- Design and Technology Association (DATA) (2022) Reimagining D&T Final Report. Available here: https://www.designtechnology.org.uk/campaigns/reimagining-design-and-technology/